Poll: Do you like Wifi trading, or File Trading better?
Good old Wifi trading!
File Trading just simplifies my life! [Bond agrees. Your arguments are invalid. (Lol, just kidding.)]
I haven't tried File Trading yet, but it looks too complicated. D:
I've never File Traded before, but it looks like a great idea. =)
Well, they both have their strong and weak points... don't make me choose one over the other! T_T
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

• 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to: IR-GTS, File Trade, .pkm [with video and Mac support]
Edited: Sep 25, 2012   /   Jun 24, 2011    2:07 AM
Xazel
GTS Unoriginal

649 0 0 0

How to: IR-GTS, File Trade, .pkm [with video and Mac support]
Guide to File Trading and using .pkm files,
as well as the IR-GTS!
*For help with the IR-GTS and/or IR-GTS-BW, please refer to sections 4, 5, and 6 for PC users, and sections 5,6, and 7 for Mac users. Section 6 is where most people find problems, so please read that one if you need help. This section is also helpful for setting up GTS Distributions. =P

Index:
[0]: Intro
[1]: File Trading and .pkm
[2]: File Trading versus Wifi (pros/cons)
[3]: How to File Trade and use .pkm files
[4]: Using the IR-GTS (Windows PC)
[5]: Python (for the IR-GTS)
[6]: *Port Forwarding (router settings)
[7]: Using the IR-GTS (on a Mac)
[8]: FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
[9]: Afterword; Releated Threads (Shiny GTS Distribution Server info)

[0]
*Note: This Guide is geared towards PC (Windows) users. Although it will generally work for Mac users as well, some programs--such as the IR-GTS--will work differently on the Mac. Having realized this, I have included a section on how to use the IR-GTS and IR-GTS-BW with a Mac OS at the bottom of this Guide (Section 7). Please read this section if you are trying to run the IR-GTS on a Mac, because Python may not run correctly even if you have the latest version installed. Thanks. =)

[1]
Q: What is "File Trading?" What does ".pkm" mean?

A: For those who do not know what File Trading is, it's when someone trades a Pokemon as a .pkm file (real life computer) to someone else over the internet, usually with an email. This is possible through conversions, and with experience, generally saves time compared to Wifi trades.

.pkm is the extension for all Pokemon files used by the game (think .exe for windows programs, .mp3 for music, etc.). This contains information on your Pokemon: IV's, EV's, level, gender, nature, ability...everything. It IS your Pokemon, in digital form.

[2]
Q: What are the advantages and disadvantages of File Trading versus traditional trading over Wifi?

A: Most people who File Trade generally prefer it over traditional Wifi trading, mostly because it saves time and space. In Wifi, you have to wait until the other person shows up to trade. This can take a long time, and then he or she may have trouble connecting to you. There may also be disconnections, or Nintendo's servers may be overloaded, causing your trade to lag and take longer than it should. Normally, you are only allowed 18 Boxes in your PC for Pokemon Storage. In Black and White, the maximum is pushed up to 24 Boxes possible. However, when you compare it to the storage space on your computer's hard drive, even 24 boxes won't seem like a lot.

Quick math: Let's say all your boxes are full in the game.
so... 24 boxes x 30 Pokemon each = 720 slots, at best

but... the average size of a .pkm file is under a kilobyte (the most space is a Gen IV party Pokemon, coming in at 236 bytes), so using 236 bytes and assuming a standard hard disc space of 50 GB (my computer has 70 GB) we can approximate...

50,000,000,000 bytes / 236 bytes ≈ 211,864,406

Over 211 million slots? Hey, 211 million Pokemon sounds better to me than 720. Realistically though, you won't use your entire hard drive. Let's just assume you only use 2 gigabytes' worth--a standard flashdrive's capacity.

2,000,000,000 / 236 bytes ≈ 8,474,576 slots

Hey, space for nearly 8 and a half million Pokemon still sounds better to me than 720, right? Also, you can copy and move these Pokemon easily without having to constantly change your party or go through multiple games to find the right Pokemon!

Disadvantages: It takes time to learn how to use .pkm files comfortably. You don't need to be a computer wiz to learn it, but it does take a little bit of reading and patience. Honestly though, that's the only drawback I can think of. Oh, that...and if you tend to easily lose or delete data on accident. =/ Can't help you there. ><

*Tip: Always back up data! (that means have more than one copy of the same thing--like one on the computer, and one on a separate flashdrive or memory card)

[3]
Q: How do I File Trade with .pkm files?

A: First, you need to convert the Pokemon you want to trade into a .pkm file. This can be done in many ways:
1) Run the IR-GTS (a computer program) to upload a Pokemon to the GTS with you wireless router, then go to your computer and find your new .pkm file in the folder under IR-GTS's directory.
2) Have your Pokemon traded to a game in a flashcart (R4, CycloneDS, Acekard, etc.) to derive the .pkm file(s) from that flashcart. Although this is possible, neither instructions nor support will be given on this procedure, however.
*Please note that discussion of how to use flashcarts is prohibited. You are allowed to mention them, but not allowed to say how to use them. (For example, giving step by step instructions on how to get a flashcart to work is not allowed).
3) Have someone else do it for you. There are people who can do collaborative trades and conversions on the site, as well as cloning and many other services. One option is to trade someone else your Pokemon and have him or her convert it for you to trade back. If you do this, you should get back both the original Pokemon on your DS and the .pkm file. Make sure your arrange the means to trade the .pkm though (email, etc.).
*More explanation on 'IR-GTS' below.*

[4]
Q: How can I use the 'IR-GTS' by myself, and what is it?
*Note: Please scroll down to the bottom of the guide if you are using a Mac and are trying to run the IR-GTS (especially if you already have Python installed and it still doesn't work!).

A: The Infinite Recursion Global Trade Station, or IR-GTS for short, is a python-based program that allows the user to convert Pokemon to and from .pkm files. You can send Pokemon to your DS from the computer, and upload Pokemon to the computer from your DS. In order to use this program, your computer needs Python first. You also need to be able to port forward you wireless internet router and make changes to your computer's settings as necessary. This includes knowledge and ability to use and make changes to your IP Address.
*See below for more information on 'Python'.

Here is a guide on how to use the IR-GTS that I made a while ago:
Xazel wrote:
Code:
IR-GTS: R, M, S
*Wireless router required! (impossible without it)

The Infinite Recursion GTS has three different functions that can be used. Before using any of these though, make sure that:
1) your internet connection works before you start up the IR-GTS
2) that the IR-GTS displays the same local IP Address as your computer's
3) you have entered the IP Address displayed on the IR-GTS into your DS's Nintendo Wifi Settings, and have saved it. Go to 'DNS auto-obtain' and select 'No.' Now, enter the IP Address number under DNS (only primary is needed).
4) you have forwarded your ports correctly, and that no firewalls are clocking the IR-GTS;
5) Forward ports 53 UDP and 80 TCP on your wireless router. You can usually access your router's settings by going to 192.168.1.1 in the internet browser. The address varies, however.
6) your IP Address is set as Dynamic and not Static
7) and make sure your firewall and/or antivirus program does not block ports 53 and 80. If they do, then make a rule that lists ports 53 and 80 as exceptions to allow them access. (You might have to look under "Permissions".)

*Step 6 is optional, but usually gives better results; if you don't know which type yours is, then it's probably defaulted as dynamic.

Now that you've done that, proceed to choose one of the three functions by typing in R, M, or S. Then, press Enter.

~R: Receive (convert; one Pokemon at a time only)
1) Type 'R' (without '' quotation marks) into the IR-GTS and press Enter.
2) It should say "Ready to receive from NDS." Now, enter the GTS with your DS.
3) Try to "Offer" one of your Pokemon, from either the PC or party--it doesn't matter which.
4) Your DS should receive a notice that the Pokemon could not be uploaded, for whatever reason. However, if you check the IR-GTS, it should say that the Pokemon was saved successfully. This is to preserve your original Pokemon in case anything happens during the conversion.
5) Repeat as many times as necessary, OR Select 'M' in order to upload multiple Pokemon.

*Note: In 'R', you have to exit and re-enter the GTS as many times as you want to convert. The 'M' option allows for multiple uploads without having to re-enter.

~M: Multiple (conversions)
1) Type 'M' (without '' quotation marks) into the IR-GTS and press Enter.
2) It should say "Ready to receive from NDS." Now, enter the GTS with your DS.
3) Try to "Offer" one of your Pokemon, from either the PC or party--it doesn't matter which.
4) Your DS should receive a notice that the Pokemon could not be uploaded, for whatever reason. However, if you check the IR-GTS, it should say that the Pokemon was saved successfully. This is to preserve your original Pokemon in case anything happens during the conversion.
5) When finished, press ctrl+c to end the process. Then, you can choose another function, or exit the IR-GTS.

*Note: For me, this 'ctrl+c' method does not work. You may have to manually exit and restart the IR-GTS after each use of 'M'.

~S: Send (get Pokemon from GTS to game)
1) Either drag a .pkm file into the typing area for the IR-GTS, OR type out it's directory. Copying and pasting does not work for me, but it may work for some people. I recommend dragging and dropping.
2) Now that the .pkm file's directory path shows up in the IR-GTS, press Enter.
3) It should say "Ready to receive from NDS." Now, enter the GTS with your DS.
4) You should receive a Pokemon from the GTS. This may take up to a minute or more; be patient.
5) Once you receive your Pokemon, you need to exit and re-enter if you wish to get more. There is no way to get more than one Pokemon to the DS per entry into the GTS right now.
6) Repeat as many times as desired.

*Note: Depending on your internet and configurations, you may or may not be able to get the IR-GTS working. Again, please make sure that no firewalls are blocking the IR-GTS, and that Ports 53 and 80 are forwarded for both TCP and UDP for your wireless router.

**When you're done using the IR-GTS, it is recommended that you change your Nintendo Wifi Connection settings back to normal. This way, you can do other official Wifi activities (trading, battling, Mystery Gift, etc.) later. All you need to do is change 'DNS auto-obtain' back to 'Yes' and then save it.

*By the way, if you're curious as to why it's called the Infinite Recursion GTS, that's because the one who made it assumed the username Infinite Recursion, to the best of my knowledge.

[5]
Q: How do I get 'Python' in order to use the IR-GTS?

A: You must download and install it on your computer. To do this, simply find the website for Python and follow the instructions they have listed (use a search engine such as Google). This works for any PC, as far as I know. I have not been able to get it to work on my Mac, however. Once Python is successfully installed, you may use the IR-GTS without any problems, assuming that everything goes smoothly.

*Use Python version 2.7.1, or any newer versions that begin in 2 (you don't need version 3).

[6]
Q: What is 'Port Forwarding', and how do I do it?

A: Port Forwarding is configuring your ports to allow certain programs to do their jobs. In other words, it's changing a few settings to get something to work--in this case, that something is the IR-GTS.

I have already explained how to Port Forward above in Section 4 (How can I use the 'IR-GTS' by myself, and what is it?), but here it is again:
5) Forward port 53 with UDP protocol and port 80 with TCP protocol for your wireless router. You can usually access your router's settings by going to 192.168.1.1 in the internet browser. The address varies, however.

*Note: If your router does not let you forward with a specific protocol (UDP or TCP), then try forwarding that port with another protocol, saving, and then going back and changing it. Or, forward a different port number with that protocol, and go back and change the number on the port. This is what I had to do. D:

6) Optional: Make sure your IP Address is set as Dynamic and not Static.

*Step 6 is optional, but usually gives better results; if you don't know which type yours is, then it's probably defaulted as dynamic, so don't worry about it. =P

*Also, please make sure your firewall and/or antivirus program does not block ports 53 and 80. If they do, then please make a rule that lists ports 53 and 80 as exceptions to allow them access. You might have to look under "Permissions" to do this.
In order to forward your ports, you need to be able to access your wireless router. Most likely, it will have a password on it. If you cannot configure your wireless router, then it is impossible for you to use the IR-GTS. (or any other Pokemon Distribution programs, for that matter).

*Side note: IR-GTS, HyperGTS, ShinyGTS, and ShinyDTS all require ports 53 UDP and 80 TCP to be forwarded to work.

*For more information, try Googling 'port forwarding'.

[7]
*USING THE IR-GTS ON A MAC:

Xazel wrote:
Code:
In all my past dealings with the IR-GTS, Python simply comes out as read-only text and doesn't run at all.

Now, this should never happen for a language such as Python, since it was written specifically to be used as a cross-platform program intended for both Mac's and PC's. Anyways, I looked into it and it turns out that there's another way to run Python on your Mac if the normal 'double click' method doesn't work. This involves using Terminal, the Mac's version of a command-line prompt (think cmd). =)

1) What you first need is access to the Administrator account, and to be logged into it. Make sure that you have a password on that Admin account, and that you know it.
2) Next, go to Finder and open Applications, then open your Utilities folder.
3) Now, look for the program named Terminal. Open it.
4) Depending on your Mac OS version, the exact steps may be a little different, but they're generally the same. Google 'Mac Terminal OS (and your OS version)' and you should be able to find better instructions.
5) When you open Terminal, it should say your account name, and the last login date. Now, enter "cd" without the quotation marks, and leave a space. Then, after the space, go to your IR-GTS folder, and drag and drop it onto the Terminal program after the space.
6) You should now see something like 'cd /Users/Xazel/Pokemon/Server/ir-gts-bw'
That's what an example of a Terminal looks like anyway. Now, press Enter.
7) It should now look like this: 'new-host:ir-gts-bw Project_GX$'
Remember, none of these quotation marks should be there, I'm just putting them down to show you what you should see.
8) Depending on your Mac OS version, the next step can be different.
For OSX 10.6, type './ir-gts.py' BUT if you're using the Black and White version, then type './ir-gts-bw.py' and then press Enter.

*Note that again, you should never enter any quotation marks, and that you need to have './' before 'ir-gts.py' or 'ir-gts-bw.py' or else it will not work.
For OSX 10.5-something or lower, type '.\ir-gts.py' or .\ir-gts-bw.py' depending on which IR-GTS you're using.

*The only difference is the direction of the slash. Again, no quotation marks, and the dot and slash are needed.

9) Now, you will be prompted to enter your Administrator account password. As you type your password, it will look like nothing is typing or happening, but don't worry--whatever you enter is being used. If you happen to mess up, just hold delete for a few seconds to make sure the password is completely gone, then enter it again. When you're done, press Enter.

10) At this point, the IR-GTS should run perfectly and normally without any problems. You should see something like this:

Please set your DS's DNS server to 192.168.1.2
Choose an option:
s - send pkm to game r - receive pkm from game
m - receive multiple pkms from game q - quit

The DNS can be different for you, but it may not be. Remember to always use your own DNS. By the way, it should tell you what your DNS is now. If it still doesn't come up, try finding your Local IP Address from your router's settings or network connections on the Mac.

Alright, everything [b]should[/b] be fine now. xD

Video tutorial for OSX:

[8]
FAQ:

Q: I have an error. It says Invalid File Size: 236 bytes. Returning to main menu. What can I do to fix this?

A: That's a Gen IV .pkm file. Use IR-GTS, not IR-GTS-BW for this.
Party .pkm type sizes are different for each generation, Gen IV is 236 b, Gen V is 220 b.

*Thanks to Yellow Torrent and arcee for this Q&A. ^ Grin

Q: What's the difference between IR-GTS and IR-GTS-BW?

A: IR-GTS was created to deal with 4th Generation .pkm files. IR-GTS-BW was made to work with 5th Generation .pkm file in Black and White. Please use the correct program that matches with the Pokemon you're using. If you have a Pokemon caught from D/P/Pt/HG/SS or earlier, then it belongs with the IR-GTS. If it was caught in either Black or White OR has been migrated to either Black or White, then use the IR-GTS-BW.

[9]
Thanks for reading. If you have any comments, questions, or concerns, feel free to leave me a post. :o
Suggestions are always welcome too. ^_^

If you would like information on how to set up a Shiny GTS distribution server, here is kailarthas's guide:
---> http://www.pokemongts.com/showthread.php?tid=95768 <---

In the short time we spent together, I'm glad we were able to have each other as friends.
[Image: 7ffgxzr]
Click here for help with: File Trading, .pkm files, IR-GTS [with video and mac support]

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Jun 30, 2011    8:48 AM
ZeroManArmy
RNG'er/Hacker

600 0 0 0

RE: How to: IR-GTS, File Trade, .pkm
Why Ports 53, and 80?

Jun 30, 2011    5:28 PM
ReignOfComputer
~éXtRéMé HaXoR~

809 1 0 0

Port 53 for DNS, Port 80 for HTTP.

RoC's PC || The Global Terminal [CLOSED]
(09:21:47) +Avia: It's all broken!

Jun 30, 2011    9:02 PM
Xazel
GTS Unoriginal

649 0 0 0

Lol, yeah. Thanks RoC. =)

Port 53 UDP is for incoming things sent to the distribution server and Port 80 TCP is for outgoing things sent from the distro. Basically port 80 sends Pokemon, and port 53 allows you to connect and send Pokemon (if you want to, based on which type of distribution is being run).

The only ports you really need are 53 UDP and 80 TCP to run a Pokemon Distribution. :o If either or both of them aren't forwarded correctly or blocked, the distribution probably won't work right.

In the short time we spent together, I'm glad we were able to have each other as friends.
Click here for help with: File Trading, .pkm files, IR-GTS [with video and mac support]

Jul 01, 2011    8:52 AM
Away
YellowTorrent
I Do It Big.

493 0 0 0

I have an error. It says Invalid File Size: 236 bytes. Returning to main menu. What can I do to fix this?

[Image: yellowtorrent.png]
~Credit to Night Shadow~
My Pokemon Shop of Awsomeness
My Pokemon Giveaway

Jul 01, 2011    8:57 AM
Away
arcee
Property of Nova. <3

493 0 0 0

(Jul 01, 2011 8:52 AM)YellowTorrent wrote:

I have an error. It says Invalid File Size: 236 bytes. Returning to main menu. What can I do to fix this?

That's a Gen IV .pkm file. Use IR-GTS, not IR-GTS-BW for this.

Jul 01, 2011    8:58 AM
Away
YellowTorrent
I Do It Big.

493 0 0 0

I must have messed up somewhere. Thanks Arcee. lol

[Image: yellowtorrent.png]
~Credit to Night Shadow~
My Pokemon Shop of Awsomeness
My Pokemon Giveaway

Jul 01, 2011    9:01 AM
Away
arcee
Property of Nova. <3

493 0 0 0

No problem.
Party .pkm type sizes are different for each generation, Gen IV is 236 b, Gen V is 220 b.

Jul 01, 2011    1:06 PM
Xazel
GTS Unoriginal

649 0 0 0

:o Thanks for bringing that up guys. I'll add the different gens and their file sizes in to the OP. >_>

Edited: Jul 01, 2011   /   Jul 01, 2011    1:41 PM
Quick Silver
The Exalted

493 7 0 0

I would just like to say thank you for making this guide. I tried at first and got the error 52100, however after forwarding my ports I was able to connect and receive my pokemon. Thank you again Grin

So I try to save face and I rest my case. The judge pulls me aside, says,
“C’est la vie. Let your darker side come out to feed.”

Jul 01, 2011    1:47 PM
Xazel
GTS Unoriginal

649 0 0 0

(Jul 01, 2011 1:41 PM)Quick Silver wrote:

I would just like to say thank you for making this guide. I tried at first and got the error 51200, however after forwarding my ports I was able to connect and receive my pokemon. Thank you again Grin

GrinGrinGrin Finally someone was able to do something with it! xD I was wondering why people hadn't been able to work it, and then I remembered a while back that Port Forwarding was the hardest part for me, so yeah. =P

Anyways, I'm glad that you were able to find it helpful. Thanks for using it. ^^

Jul 01, 2011    2:18 PM
Quick Silver
The Exalted

493 7 0 0

(Jul 01, 2011 1:47 PM)Xazel wrote:

(Jul 01, 2011 1:41 PM)Quick Silver wrote:

I would just like to say thank you for making this guide. I tried at first and got the error 51200, however after forwarding my ports I was able to connect and receive my pokemon. Thank you again Grin

GrinGrinGrin Finally someone was able to do something with it! xD I was wondering why people hadn't been able to work it, and then I remembered a while back that Port Forwarding was the hardest part for me, so yeah. =P

Anyways, I'm glad that you were able to find it helpful. Thanks for using it. ^^

Yeah at first I got frustrated thinking it was just my own internet messing up, however once I read the port forwarding section on THIS thread I discovered you HAD to do it. I was typing my IP address wrong every time so I was thinking I couldn't edit my firewall (which I have in the past to play Halo CE). Once I did I was easily able to follow the instructions and receive my 3 Sinjoh ruins dragons :P.

This is a really nice program, and an even better guide. (Especially how it includes Port Forwarding). Perhaps a sections here for common errors would also be good (Other than the one posted)

Jul 01, 2011    3:03 PM
Xazel
GTS Unoriginal

649 0 0 0

(Jul 01, 2011 2:18 PM)Quick Silver wrote:

Yeah at first I got frustrated thinking it was just my own internet messing up, however once I read the port forwarding section on THIS thread I discovered you HAD to do it. I was typing my IP address wrong every time so I was thinking I couldn't edit my firewall (which I have in the past to play Halo CE). Once I did I was easily able to follow the instructions and receive my 3 Sinjoh ruins dragons :P.

This is a really nice program, and an even better guide. (Especially how it includes Port Forwarding). Perhaps a sections here for common errors would also be good (Other than the one posted)

Lol. Maybe I should put a giant "Mandatory" sign next to Port Forwarding then, for all the people who don't know. xD Also, since you mentioned common errors, I noticed you said something about receiving the error 51200 earlier. Would you mind explaining it a bit more to me so that I can add it into the OP? I'll send you a PM. =P

Jul 01, 2011    3:29 PM
Quick Silver
The Exalted

493 7 0 0

Sent it in a PM. Also to clarify in-case anyone reads over this, the error is actually 52100 that I got. (This is so in case somebody else gets the error they don't assume it's a different one and think they must solve it differently.)

I will edit my original post :P. Again, great job on the tutorial.

Edited: Jul 12, 2011   /   Jul 12, 2011    2:25 PM
lemandro
Banned

0 0 0 0

hello

hello
hello
hello again

Jul 12, 2011    2:33 PM
Away
arcee
Property of Nova. <3

493 0 0 0

(Jul 12, 2011 2:25 PM)lemandro wrote:

hello

hello
hello
hello again

Hello to you too.

Don't spam. Contributory posts, please.

Edited: Jul 23, 2011   /   Jul 23, 2011    6:07 PM
bullit czi
Poke-Maniac

0 0 0 0

//edited

Jul 23, 2011    6:12 PM
ogopj
Development Ops

1 9 0 0

(Jul 23, 2011 6:07 PM)bullit czi wrote:

//edited

Please do not quote the entire first post. That is considered spam and against the site rules.

[Image: 1zarfc.jpg]

Jul 26, 2011    4:15 PM
Away
ultimate23
Trainer

502 0 0 0

when im trying to send a pokemon back into the gts using the my pokemon.pkm file the black box just quickly disappears. how do i fix that

[Image: UltimateSignature.png]
A link to my shop
http://www.pokemongts.com/showthread.php?tid=94293

Jul 26, 2011    10:12 PM
Xazel
GTS Unoriginal

649 0 0 0

(Jul 26, 2011 4:15 PM)ultimate23 wrote:

when im trying to send a pokemon back into the gts using the my pokemon.pkm file the black box just quickly disappears. how do i fix that

Okay, I'm missing some information, so I'll have to ask you a question as well.

What do you mean by the black box? I'm assuming you're talking about the IR-GTS when you run it on the computer. If you're on a PC, then try using cmd to run it directly. You can do this by:

1) Going to the Start Menu, then clicking Run.
2) Then, type in cmd and click OK.
3) After that, the command-line prompt should open up and say something like "Microsoft Copyright...etc." and under that should say "C:\Documents and Settings\*your user name here"
4) Once that's on the screen, open up the file that you have the IR-GTS in (don't run the program itself).
5) Drag and drop the IR-GTS program (from the file you just opened) onto the black box you opened (cmd).

After you've done that, IR-GTS should run normally. If it doesn't, then let me know. Also, you -are- using a PC and not a Mac, right? o-o

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Connect

Affiliations

We currently have no affiliations.

Apply for Affiliation

Design

PokéSwitch / Dark
Design by Global Trade Station / Artwork by Darside