Poll: Was this guide helpful?
Yes, this guide is very helpful
No, this guide didn't help me at all
I'm a pro already, but I thought this guide is still useful and informative
I'm a pro already, but I think this guide is downright terrible
[Show Results]

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

• 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Newbies Guide to EVs, IVs, Hidden Power, and More!
Edited: Oct 03, 2013   /   Mar 01, 2012    5:30 PM
Team Plasma N
The Pokemon Guru

261 6 0 0

Newbies Guide to EVs, IVs, Hidden Power, and More!
Hey guys, I thought I'd make a guide all in one thread explaining some of the essentials to competitive battling. This guide will cover the 5th Gen games, I may update this guide for previous generations.

EVs: EVs stand for "Effort Values". EVs come for all the 6 stats: HP, Attack, Defense, Sp.Attack, Sp.Defense, and Speed. Every 4 EVs you get for a certain stat will increase that stat by +1. A single Pokemon can have up to a total of 510 EVs, and a max of 255 EVs in one particular stat, giving you the chance to fully max 2 stats (or further boost other stats by a bit and distribute less than 255 EVs in a stat). Certain Pokemon give off certain amount of EVs in certain stats. With this knowledge, many competitive players use a method called "EV Training", so that their Pokemon's stats will be further boosted and be at their full potential. In 5th Gen, EVs are calculated after battle. So let's say you're EV Training a Heracross in Attack, let's say it's current Attack stat is 134, it's not holding any power item or Macho Brace, it can still receive 4 or more Attack EVs, and it's not infected with Pokerus (the importance of these will be explained below), so you kill 4 Lilipups (gives off +1 Attack EV for every Lillipup killed), since you got 4 Attack EVs, check your Heracross's summary after the battle, the Attack stat should be 135 now if done correctly =O. So in 5th Gen, it IS possible to EV Train level 100s provided you get rid of the undesired EVs from them. When EV Training, be sure to keep track of your EVs by making a tally of all the EVs you get for the stats you're EV Training in on a piece of paper.

Pokerus: Pokerus is a virus that doubles the EVs gained in battle at the end. So if you kill a Litwick (+1 Sp.Atk) when you're not holding any Power Items or Macho Brace, you'll get +2 Sp.Atk for every Litwick! Pokerus is harder to obtain than even shiny Pokemon! The easiest way to get it is to trade with someone who has a Pokemon with Pokerus. this virus can be spread to your other Pokemon in your party, provided the infected Pokemon is also in your party. Check the summarry of your Pokemon after battle to see if the virus spread. Pokerus goes away after around 3 days. If you leave an infected Pokemon in the PC, it kinda "freezes" the time of the Pokerus, so it won't go away if the Pokemon's in your PC. Otherwise Pokerus can be found if you catch a wild Pokemon infected with it, and I think if you kill it too (but trading's your best option in my opinion. When I started the game after I got Victini from Liberty Garden, I offered Pokemon Black exclusive on GTS for a Victini so I can have more than one, and to my surprise, I got one that was infected with Pokerus -_-, and this was near the beginning of the game).

Helpful Items for Faster EV Training: The Power Items (Power Bracer, Power Weight, Power Band, Power Lens, Power Anklet, Power Belt) give +4 EVs in the respective stats they promote (in the description of the item). They half the Speed stat of the Pokemon holding it only while it's being held, when it's taken off, the Speed will be normal. These can be found in the Battle Subway and be brought for a lot of BP. Macho Brace doubles the EVs you gain in battle, and halves the Speed stat only while it's being held. It can be found when you go to the West route of Nimbasa City and talk to some guy. As explained before, Pokerus doubes everything in the end. So let's say you equip a Power Lens (+4 EVs Sp.Atk EVs per battle) and your Pokemon's infected with Pokerus. You kill a Litwick (+1 EVs in Sp.Atk), so you get 1 Sp.Atk EV, +4 more Sp.Atk EVs from Power Lens, making 5 Sp.Atk EVs, but then Pokerus doubles all that in the end, 5x2=10, so you'd get a whopping 10 Sp.Atk EVs in Sp.Atk per Litwick you kill!!!!!! As for Macho Brace, let's say you equip one and you're infected with Pokerus again, you kill a Litwick, 1x2 because of Macho Brace is 2, and then 2x2 because of Pokerus is for, so you'd get 4 Sp.Atk EVs per Litwick killed. So in most cases, the Power items are prefered over Macho Brace. The Power items can also be used to pass down IVs (explained later) of the parent holding it while breeding to the offspring. They'll pass down the IVs they promote (so a Power Lens would ensure the offspring gets the Sp.Atk IVs that the parent holding it has).

Vitamins: The vitamins (HP Up, Protein, Iron, Calcium, Zinc, and Carbos) give off +10 EVs in the stat they boost. You can use a max of 10 of each vitamin on a Pokemon, so you can get a total of 100 EVs for every 10 vitamins you use. However, it's recommended you give this to a Pokemon that hasn't recieved ANY EVs in the stat you wish to boost first, so you can start out with 100 EVs. If I get some Sp.Atk EVs in a Charmander for example, and I decide to use some Calcium (+10 Sp.Atk EVs), I'd be able to use only 9 Calciums then (the last Calcium won't have any effect), but I can still use 10 vitamins in the other stats (assuming no EVs are in the other stats yet). So before going on your quest of EV Training, use the desired Vitamins first so you can start off with 100 EVs and save time. You can use more than one vitamin, you don't need to pick one.

Pokemon that give off certain EVs: Some of you may be wondering: "How do I know which Pokemon to kill to boost certain stats?" Well on most sites like Serebii, it'll tell you what EVs the Pokemon you're viewing gives off. I'll provide a list of some Pokemon that give off certain EVs and some of their locations:

HP: Stunfisk or Palpitoad, +2 HP EVs each, found in Iccarus City or Route 8 in puddles or Surf.

Atk: Lilipup or Patrat, +1 Atk EV each, found at Route 1.

Def: Sewaddle or Venipede, +1 Def EV each, found in Pinwheel Forest

Sp.Atk: Litwick or Elgyem, +1 Sp.Atk EV each, found in Celestial Tower

Sp.Def: Frillish, +1 Sp.Def EVs, found in Route 17 or 18 via Surf

Speed: Bascuilin, +2 Speed Evs, found in Dragonspiral Tower via Surf

IVs: IVs are short for "Individual Values". IVs increase stats like EVs, but they're set right when you meet the Pokemon, recieve an Egg, etc, you can't change them. Think of them like the "genes" of a Pokemon that cannot be altered. A Pokemon may have a maximum of 31 IVs in a stat and 0 IVs in a stat (all stats have IVs, it IS possible to have 31 IVs in all stats). If you're breeding Pokemon, 3 IVs are randomly picked from the parents (it could be Atk from male, Speed from female, and Def from male, or other combonations) and passed on to the offsrping, the others are randomly newly generated. The RNG is what determines what's passed down, the nature and shinyness of your Pokemon, etc. The RNG can be manipulated to player's advantages to recieve the desired IVs, shinyness, etc with a method called RNG Abuse. There is already a guide for RNG Abusing on this site written by Stormfront, you may want to refer to his RNG Guide as it covers RNG Abuse. As mentioned above, if you don't RNG Abuse, you may want to pass some of the IVs one of your Pokemon parent's already has, you can do this either by breeding constantly and hoping one of the IVs are inherited, or you can allow the parent with the desired IV to be inherited to hold one of the various Power Items, making sure it holds the Power Item that promotes the stat you want to inherit. So if I have a Charizard with 31 IVs in Sp.Atk, and I want to pass that on to an offspring Charmander, I'd have to let my Charizard hold a Power Lens to pass on the Sp.Atk IVs to the Charmander. If you're RNG Abusing for bred Pokemon, don't use a Power Item as it can mess up the process. Also, depending on your Pokemon's IVs, your Pokemon's Hidden Power Type and Power will vary.

Hidden Power: Hidden Power is a move that pretty much any Pokemon can learn. It's a special move so it uses your Pokemon's Sp.Atk for damage calculation. The description says Hidden Power is a Normal Type move, but it's actually any move that's NOT a Normal type, with a Base Power of 70 or below. Your Pokemon's Hidden Power type and Base Power are determined by your Pokemon's IVs. Here I'll give a list of the IVs needed for certain Hidden Power Types and max Base Power, with the help of the youtube video Pokefan26 and other users made, more combinations can be found over the internet:

Dark:
31hp / 31atk / 31def / 31spatk / 31spdef / 31speed

Steel:
31hp / 31atk / 31def / 31spatk / 30spdef / 31speed

Dragon:
31hp / 30atk / 31def / 31spatk / 31spdef / 31speed

Ghost:
31hp / 31atk / 30def / 31spatk / 30spdef / 31speed

Rock:
31hp / 31atk / 30def / 31spatk / 30spdef / 30speed

Bug:
31hp / 31atk / 31def / 31spatk / 30spdef / 30speed

Psychic:
31hp / 30atk / 30def / 31spatk / 31spdef / 30speed

Flying:
31hp / 31atk / 31def / 30spatk / 30spdef / 30speed

Ground:
31hp / 31atk / 31def / 30spatk / 30spdef / 31speed

Poison:
31hp / 31atk / 30def / 30spatk / 30spdef / 31speed

Fighting:
31hp / 31atk / 30def / 30spatk / 30spdef / 30speed

Ice:
31hp / 30atk / 30def / 31spatk / 31spdef / 31speed

Grass:
31hp / 30atk / 31def / 30spatk / 31spdef / 31speed

Electric:
31hp / 31atk / 31def / 30spatk / 31spdef / 31speed

Water:
31hp / 31atk / 31def / 30spatk / 31spdef / 30speed

Fire:
31hp / 30atk / 31def / 30spatk / 31spdef / 30speed

An accurate way to check your Pokemon's EVs, IV,s Hidden Power, etc is to upload them to Pokecheck. You can even tell if your Pokemon's legit or not using the legitimacy checker. Using it will also help aid you in finding your SID (secret ID), this is helpful because it's required if you plan to RNG for shinies too. Of course, there's also plenty of IV calculators too.

Ubers: In the competitive Pokemon community, Ubers are Pokemon that are deemed too powerful for competitive play, and can be used only in Uber battles. To find out what Pokemon are Uber, refer to the 5th Gen GTS Tiers. Please note that the tiers may vary from site to site, as every site is different. So refer to the tiers section of the site you're using for competitive play.

Clauses: Clauses are like additional rules to follow in a battle for competitive play. When requesting a battle, it's advised to state if you want to play with clauses or not, and what clauses you would like to play by. Clauses are usually used when it comes to competitive play. Here are the clauses that are typically used in competitive play:

Sleep Clause (only 1 Pokemon on each team can be put to sleep, so if you use Spore on a an opponent's Pokemon and it succeeds, you cannot put another one of your opponent's Pokemon to sleep, otherwise you lose the match. Self induced sleep by the opponent with a move like Rest does not count)

Evasion Clause (you cannot use moves that boost your evasion like Double Team)

Freeze Clause (I've seen this clause only on this site so far, but this clause means you can only freeze on of your opponent's Pokemon at a time, using freeze moves at your own risk)

Luck Item Clause (no item that utilizes luck, like Quick Claw)

Species Clause (You can't have 2 of the same species of Pokemon, ex. 2 Blisseys. However, having a Blissey and a Chansey on the same team does not break this clause)

OHKO Clause (No One Hit KO moves like Sheer Cold, Guillotine, etc. Destiny Bond does not apply to this)

Uber Clause (Ubers like Giratina, Darkrai, etc cannot be used, check the GTS tiers to see what Pokemon are uber)

Legit/Legal Clause ( Pokemon that have moves, abilities, or stats that are illegal are banned. ex: 999 stats, 255 EVs in ALL stats, illegal movesets, etc. However a legal hack may be used. ex. Cherish Ball Ferrothorn, but has a moveset and stats that are legally obtainable)

OPTIONAL: No unreleased Dream World abilities the DW Ability must have been released in some region to be used (ex: the Kanto starters have been released in Japan with DW abilities but nowhere else yet, they are still OK to use since they've been released, even if they're legal hacked versions)

OPTIONAL: Item Clause (all Pokemon must hold a different item, so for example, you can't have a Choice Scarfed Charizard and a Choice Scarfed Gengar on the same team, either one or the other has to hold the item. This clause is typically used in Nintendo held event battles, but this clause is optional for competitive play)

Let me know what you think of this guide! This guide may be edited for more info.

This guide was made by Team Plasma N in pokemongts.com and hasn't been replicated by the owner anywhere else. Anyone using the alias "Team Plasma N" and the custom user title The "Pokemon Guru" that replicates this thread on another forum is not the original owner. You may not copy this guide without permission from the owner.

[Image: mnwpnr2]
TSV: 2918 (Y) | 2420 (OR) | 1713 (Moon)
Thanks to CoolPikachu for the avi, & Skating Squirtle for the sig!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Mar 12, 2012    1:25 PM
FinaddZA
Trainer

0 0 0

RE: Newbies Guide to EVs, IVs, Hidden Power, and More!
Ok, that was amazingly helpful... Thank you so much!

Just one question though: Can you give a pokemon only one type of vitamin? I saw most EV builds require 2 or more 'specs'
For example for a Jolly Charizard: SAtt and Spd EV's should be considered. Do i give him the 100EV worth of vitamins for both? Or must i pick one?

Mar 12, 2012    2:08 PM
Team Plasma N
The Pokemon Guru

261 6 0 0

(Mar 12, 2012 1:25 PM)FinaddZA wrote:

Ok, that was amazingly helpful... Thank you so much!

Just one question though: Can you give a pokemon only one type of vitamin? I saw most EV builds require 2 or more 'specs'
For example for a Jolly Charizard: SAtt and Spd EV's should be considered. Do i give him the 100EV worth of vitamins for both? Or must i pick one?

You can use both. However, for a Jolly Charizard, your Sp.Atk is lowered, so Jolly wouldn't be good for Sp.Atk. I recommend Timid.

Edited: Mar 12, 2012   /   Mar 12, 2012    6:25 PM
master raikou
Master Chief

451 0 0 0

This is a well done guide! Good job. It's nice that you showed how to get a desired hidden power type. The only suggestion I have is adding that you should really write down EV's when training. It keeps the process going smoothly and this way you won't forget how many EV's you are at. Otherwise, well done :)

Mar 12, 2012    7:01 PM
Team Plasma N
The Pokemon Guru

261 6 0 0

(Mar 12, 2012 6:25 PM)master raikou wrote:

This is a well done guide! Good job. It's nice that you showed how to get a desired hidden power type. The only suggestion I have is adding that you should really write down EV's when training. It keeps the process going smoothly and this way you won't forget how many EV's you are at. Otherwise, well done :)
Thanks! Also thanks for reminding me, I was going to type to write down the EVs but I forgot, and I've been wondering this whole time: "What did I forget to add?" Thanks =)!

Edited: Jul 02, 2012   /   Jul 02, 2012    7:03 PM
Away
Shady
what.

1 0 0 0

Really useful. Just write down in case ppl are lazy to do the math that if you have PKRS and Macho Brace equipped you should kill 63 pkmn if its 1 ev given or 31 if theres 2 evs given. Grin

[Image: huohz7.png]

Jul 14, 2012    6:27 PM
ZigKnot
Trainer

0 0 0 0

So if I Got PKRUS And Power Bracer How Many Lilipup Do I Need

[Image: Venusaur.png]

Jul 14, 2012    6:44 PM
Team Plasma N
The Pokemon Guru

261 6 0 0

(Jul 14, 2012 6:27 PM)ZigKnot wrote:

Depends on how much EVs you want to give the Pokemon you're EV Training in Attack. Just remember, 1 Lillipup=1 Atk EV, then Power Bracer is +4 Atk EVs, 1+4=5, then Pokerus doubles that so you get 10 Attack EVs. I'd just write down the EVs you want in stats you're EV training in on a piece of paper and make a tally of the EVs you get rather than counting how many of the Pokemon you need to kill.

Jul 14, 2012    6:49 PM
ZigKnot
Trainer

0 0 0 0

(Jul 14, 2012 6:44 PM)Team Plasma N wrote:

(Jul 14, 2012 6:27 PM)ZigKnot wrote:

Depends on how much EVs you want to give the Pokemon you're EV Training in Attack. Just remember, 1 Lillipup=1 Atk EV, then Power Bracer is +4 Atk EVs, 1+4=5, then Pokerus doubles that so you get 10 Attack EVs. I'd just write down the EVs you want in stats you're EV training in on a piece of paper and make a tally of the EVs you get rather than counting how many of the Pokemon you need to kill.

Simple Enough Thankx

[Image: Venusaur.png]

Sep 30, 2012    4:50 PM
EarthTyrant
Battle Tree Boss

543 0 0 0

Beautiful Guide man! I got a lot of questions answered here about EV training. I actually wish to start making guides myself, so reading this is quite informing. Thanks

[Image: scolipede1.png]

Oct 20, 2012    10:26 AM
SteamedVeggies
Don't quit try harder.

570 1 0 0

Wow this has been a lot of help. This might surprise you, but I actually never learned most of this stuff. Haha, In all seriousness though, very good guide. It's been the most help that I've had. :3

[Image: EdRpkVa.jpg]

Oct 26, 2012    4:01 PM
Team Plasma N
The Pokemon Guru

261 6 0 0

(Sep 30, 2012 4:50 PM)EarthTyrant wrote:

Beautiful Guide man! I got a lot of questions answered here about EV training. I actually wish to start making guides myself, so reading this is quite informing. Thanks

(Oct 20, 2012 10:26 AM)DayXwolfXI wrote:

Wow this has been a lot of help. This might surprise you, but I actually never learned most of this stuff. Haha, In all seriousness though, very good guide. It's been the most help that I've had. :3

Thanks, I'm glad you both like it Grin. Of course I'll have to update the guide with some more info, there's just so much information I have to put in lol.

Nov 06, 2012    2:34 PM
zapdos_19
Poke-Scientist

640 0 0 0

What a fantastic guide! Well done :)

[Image: 124-4.png]
Thanks to Pananic for my sig :)

Edited: Nov 06, 2012   /   Nov 06, 2012    5:09 PM
cyndral
Trainer

0 0 0

Arphage edit: Do not quote the entire first post. Also, do not empty quote to get 3 posts.

Nov 17, 2012    8:01 PM
Akai Uchiha
Trainer

0 0 0 0

"So let's say you're EV Training a Heracross in Attack, let's say it's current Attack stat is 134, it's not holding any power item or Macho Brace, it can still receive 4 or more Attack EVs, and it's not infected with Pokerus (the importance of these will be explained below), so you kill 4 Lilipups (gives off +1 Attack EV for every Lillipup killed), since you got 4 Attack EVs, check your Heracross's summary after the battle, the Attack stat should be 135 now if done correctly =O."

So, if I kill 4 Litwicks, my pokemon's Sp. Atk should go from 199 to 200??

Nov 18, 2012    1:14 AM
Black_Zero
Trainer

221 0 0 0

@Akai Uchiha: Yes & No
in theory your example is correct but depends in some other factors such as lvl and nature

the higher the lvl the 4EV= 1Point is more acurated but in lower level this is not notorious

this is why for VGC teams ( lvl 50 pokes) some EV spreads are diferent since instead of the clasic 252 maybe a 248 it still gives the same stat

the nature gives +10% on a stat so a a time the stat will be boosted so keep that in mind

Salu2

Dec 01, 2012    3:44 PM
RaccoonCityHero98
Trainer

35 0 0 0

Hey does any one know the probability of a specific nature showing up on a pokemon
or the probability of a stat having 31 IVS

Dec 08, 2012    12:04 PM
Team Plasma N
The Pokemon Guru

261 6 0 0

(Dec 01, 2012 3:44 PM)RaccoonCityHero98 wrote:

Hey does any one know the probability of a specific nature showing up on a pokemon
or the probability of a stat having 31 IVS

That would depend on your RNG for your game, which the game processes depending on your TID, SID, DS used, MAC Address, date and time the game's been booted up, and more. I'd recommend looking into RNG Abusing, it makes it a lot easier to get Pokemon with perfect IVs and the nature you want, I'm pretty sure we have some RNG guides around here, good luck Grin!

Apr 07, 2013    12:49 PM
Cynahr
The Spooky One

386 0 0 0

Wow thanks. I didn't know that about hidden power types.

[Image: 2C7589AF-4324-4D21-8700-DF7D2DDCEC75-105...5E1259.jpg]

Apr 07, 2013    1:32 PM
El_Dee
Trainer

0 0 0 0

Good guide TPN. Should help teach newer users greatly.

Saw some posts on EV training. It is better to do this to newly bred or freshly caught pokemon. The clean slate means you cam get the most out of them because they do have a limit of 508 effort points. So fighting basculin from level 1 to 100 wont mean you have the fastest basculin ever.

IVs are key too. If your basculin has 0 speed IVs then it wont get as many points in that area. Even fully EV trained with max in speed.

[Image: eldee.png]

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Connect

Affiliations

We currently have no affiliations.

Apply for Affiliation

Design

PokéSwitch / Dark
Design by Global Trade Station / Artwork by Darside